Thursday, July 22, 2010

Reflection Eight

My educational philosophy tells a lot about myself and how I view the world when it comes to the learning process. I perceive myself as an individual who looks at learning as an open thing. Any and everyone can learn as long as they are open to it. The mind is a very strong thing and can be controlled by organizing the things that we allow ourselves to accept. My highest score on the philosophy test was in the section of progressive education. Basically with progressive education, a person believes that we as humans learn better when we are in a social environment. I can truly agree with that because I know that problem solving plays a big role in our learning ability. We as people must come to a conclusion somehow and allow ourselves to be open to anything that can possibly come our way. We move on scientific bases. We go through problem solving to a hypothesis and then finally arriving to a conclusion. When we have real life situations it allows us to make better decisions in life instead of just openly guessing. Within the educational system I strongly believe that we must allow students to go through these things on their own. But first as an instructor, you must teach them the proper way to go about these things and how to arrive at the situation making it well enough to test it out. Once that is done, as the teacher you let them venture out and join in on the social world, allowing them to become as a part of the learning society. My lowest score was in the section of perennialism. A person who scores high in perennialism feels that the most important things that are taught first plays a big role in people’s lives. That is something that I disagree with because not everything that people see as important is important to others. I can remember some of the things taught to me in school as a child that teachers greatly emphasized on. As I look back on those things today, I can say that none of the things that my teachers taught influenced nor had any type of impact on my life. Yet it gave me an open mind to create my own opinions on the subject of “importance”. Yes it may influence some but I truly know that it does not influence all. But things like that as a child goes in one ear and out of the other. That’s why I think it is important to know yourself and trust in your mind and in your knowledge of information. Only you and what you have gained in your social knowledge can create and direct your path.

No comments:

Post a Comment